Review: GoPro HERO + LCD
Small, lightweight, and easy to use, if you’re looking for a travel action camera the GoPro HERO + LCD is for you.
I spent a long time deciding on this camera. My budget didn’t quite stretch to one of the higher end models like the GoPro HERO4 Black, but I figured for the amount of time I would actually be using the camera during my travels (mainly underwater) the HERO + LCD would do the trick just fine. And, it has.
What is the biggest selling point of this particular model? Hands down, the built in LCD touch screen. This feature used to only be seen on the higher end models, but it’s rewarding to have it on a more consumer friendly model.
GoPro HERO + LCD
- Built in LCD touchscreen allows you to preview and frame your scene perfectly, and provides easy access to the menu.
- Photo quality at 8MP is decent.
- This model shoots up to 60fps at 1080p.
- The GoPro App is available for free download for smartphones. This is a great feature that allows you to remotely preview, playback, and take photos and video.
- The housing is integrated and cannot be removed. Should this be broken the camera won't be waterproof or dirt proof.
- Swapping out an empty battery isn't possible because the camera is built into the housing so you will have to use your battery time wisely.
- Photo quality and video quality could be higher, but of course, this comes down to how much you want to spend on an action camera.
- Camera weight (with integrated housing): 4.5oz/127g
- Waterproof up to 131ft/40m
- Built in Wi-Fi and Bluetooth
- Ultra-wide angle glass lens with reduced distortion
- Fixed f/2.8 aperture
- 8MP Photos, 3264 x 2448 screen resolution
- Photo Burst Mode – captures 10 photos in 2 seconds
- Time Lapse Mode – intervals of 0.5, 1, 2, 5, 10, 30, and 60 seconds
- 1080p video resolution – 60, 50, 30, 25fps
- 720p video resolution – 60, 50fps
- 720p SuperView – 60, 50fps
- Video Format: H.264 codec, .mp4 file
What You’ll Need
It's easy to over accessorize your GoPro, but you can definitely get by with only a handful of other necessary items.